The Divine Miss Lily went to the Rainbow Bridge on Friday, August 6. She was 12 years 9 months.
She left planet earth lying on her dog bed with me curled up next to her at Sunrise Pet Clinic. Before they administered a shot to calm her down, she ate numerous cookies. We had time to say our goodbyes and she had a sly smile on her face probably thinking about all the cookies that lay ahead during her next adventure.
Lily will be met at the Rainbow Bridge by my beloved Painter and all the pet dogs that we remember who were our friends — Buddy, Bosco, Jazzmo, Frieda, Jan, Mikey, Lace and Whiskey, Poseidon, Missy, Chessy, Ferrari, Domino, Libby, Tula, Wolf, Daphne, Slim, Charlie, Bessie, Baxter, Zoola, Winna & Holly, Bitsy, Bob Dog and Micha, Cartier, Cairo, Sienna, Senorita, Dakota, Calypso, Jessie, Zowie, Bandit, Sega, Raisin, Quincy, Zeus, Rocket & Moose, Kelsey, Skip, Aimee, Toby, Dog and DogII, Sandy & Dexter, Sam and Chipper…and Chester the cat.
I used to say that Painter was 99.9 percent good boy and Lily was 75 percent good girl but it was the other 25 percent that was memorable. Lily had a penchant for shoes and since I’m a slob, she had her share of chewing shoes and purses. She also had more accessories than I have and really liked bling. On the rare occasions that I did pick up my shoes, she would overturn wastebaskets and tear up paper, once an entire bag of income tax receipts. She had this mischievous behavior her whole life.
Lily also was a counter surfer. She once ate an entire rotisserie chicken, bones and all, as well as raw salmon burgers on a Styrofoam plate. Fortunately, she only took two bites out of the Styrofoam. She knocked the butter dish on the floor and ate half a stick of butter and a big piece of Roquefort cheese; Painter ate the wrapper.
After Painter died, Lily became the only dog which was a position she favored. Though not dog friendly, she loved people and was always loving and curious towards them. Before Jodi & Tom moved, they would sometimes invite my hounds to spend the night. Jodi said each and every time Lily walked in the house, she went directly into the bedroom, and pooped on their pink rug.
Lily celebrated birthday parties and would be the life of the party knowing that it was her special day.
Although she had many nicknames, she was best known as Drama Queen, hence, this blog. She didn’t like those two words. When I said, “Who’s the Drama Queen?” she would talk back and stomp her feet.
Lily (and Painter) brought much joy into my life and into the lives of many people. When she was still able to jump on the bed, I’d wake up some mornings and her little head was on my pillow and her stinky breath in my face. Lily ate poop. Among her ailments, she was going blind. While she couldn’t see very well, there was nothing wrong with her hearing as she barked and barked when she heard something disturbing. Her racing name was “Impatient Roar.” It was a good fit. Mercifully, she only raced six times.
Painter was earnest and eager to please–Lily was not so much. We mostly did life on her terms. She was the boss, applesauce. Lily loved to play “find the cookie”. If I forgot to play this game after dinner, she reminded me. She drove me crazy until we played. When I said, “Do you want to play FIND THE COOKIE?” joy radiated across her sweet face.
Dogs hold a special place card in my heart especially greyhounds. They are survivors like none other. The lucky ones have the ability to survive their gruesome racing lives and move forward to find the softest spot in the room. I was blessed to be owned by Lily since she was 2 years 3 months old, nothing short of a miracle.
If you would like to honor Lily, please consider making a donation to your favorite greyhound rescue group or animal shelter. The day I adopted my first greyhound in 1998, I learned about the horrors of greyhound racing. I have never stopped hating its existence. In 2005-2006, more than 150+ greyhounds disappeared from the dog track here in Tucson never to be found; and in 2008, there were 104 injuries involving 97 dogs, which includes 11 dogs euthanized at the track. These figures are according to the injury reports obtained through a public records request from Arizona Department of Racing.
Across the country, dog tracks are falling like dominoes. Let’s keep up that mission and vision.
Please remember your good times spent with Lily. Cherish each and every day spent with your dogs, cats, and horses.
Lily Greyhound Zoldan
(October 20, 1997 – August 6, 2010)
Adopted from (formerly) GPA/LA & OC now Fast Friends
Thank you for reading. You can read more about Lily’s zany antics here.
‘Take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim.
Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented.’
~ Elie Wiesel
(photos: Diana Hansen & Loren Dawn)